Last night was Mexican food night–my favorite night of the week!
Brentan was watching the NBA finals and I decided to make a bit of a variation on our usual salsas and dips, with mango salsa! We always cook the same dinner for Mexican food night, and my little brother jokes that he loves that when he comes to our house he likes having that meal because it always tastes the same. Well Henry, when you come over next time we’ll have some new flavors!
We’ve been obsessed with Rick Bayless and his cooking recently after visiting his restaurant in Chicago and seeing him do a cooking demo at the Sunset Celebration weekend, and all three of these salsas were inspired by him. I made mango salsa and guac last night, and we had a bit of leftover roasted chile salsa from last week that Brentan made from his cookbook.
Here’s my own easy recipe for mango salsa. Oh my it’s so easy:
- 1 small mango
- 1/4 white onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 Serrano pepper
- Cut up the mango into small pieces, place in bowl.
- Dice onion, place in bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice over onion and mango. The juice helps mellow out the onions, according to Mr. Bayless.
- Dice tomatoes, and chop pepper. Place in bowl.
- Mix everything together and salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat it all with tortilla chips or place on top of tacos or burritos!